DRONES x NOISES
A collection of drone and noise samples
DRONES & NOISES is a collection of field recordings and synthesized drone sounds. What good are a bunch of noises you say? See the ‘What Good Are A Bunch Of Noises?‘ tab below to hear a song made entirely using samples from the pack. The Live Set for the song is also included in the download (Droneship.alp) to give you an idea of how you can use the samples in your own production.
One major problem with music made entirely ‘inside the box’ (only with a computer and no external sound sources) is that it can often sound ‘too clean’ or sterile. One of the beauties of the analogue medium is its inherently characterful sound – you’ll be hard-pressed to find an analogue device without a little bit of characterful noise or texture that gives your sound a unique space and feel.
Artificial noises and field recordings can be used to add texture and depth to almost any production whether it’s your latest left-field experiment or the next pop hit. Check out this article from liveschool for some good examples of the benefits of noise.
Why stop at just textures though? Noises and drones can even be used to create characterful synth sounds with defined pitches.
For some great examples of artists who effectively use noise and drone in their music check out the following links:
- Flying Lotus – Los Angeles
- Actress – Voodoo Posse Chronic Illusion
- Oneohtrix Point Never – R Plus Seven
- Tim Hecker – Virgins
In The Pack
This pack contains field recordings I have collected which have been recorded from multiple different sources using my iPhone, Zoom H5 or whatever other recorder was handy. The pack also includes noises and drones that I’ve generated using Ableton Live and various synths and FX.
- 2 separate .zip folders including 35 minutes of samples between them in .aif format (at various bit depths and sample rates due to different recording mediums).
- Also included with the download is “Droneship 001.alp” which is a demo Ableton Live Set made entirely using samples from the pack. Once downloaded, double click the .alp file to unarchive the set (requires Ableton Live). Feel free to use the presets and sounds within the set for your own productions.
- Anything that can read .aif samples (most audio production software).
- The samples could also be converted to .wav
- DRONES x NOISES is 100% royalty-free.
- Read more about the licensing of DRONES x NOISES here.